Soulpup delivers the best pet info to help you and your dog enjoy a long and happy life together.
SoulPup.com offers quick, easy ideas to help homeless pets in your community. Here’s the latest SoulPup Solution.
This week’s SoulPup Solution for Pets: Donate a little Time
This morning, got this Facebook update from friends at Lose A Finger:
Good morning LAF Fans! We are going to be joining Stubby’s Heroes at the Fulton County Animal Shelter this am at 10 to pass out donated blankets for the furbabies that will keep them a bit warmer and more comfy until they find that furever family who will always keep them warm and happy. We are looking forward to lots of walking, petting and tail wagging today. Then back to home base to do more event planning. Stay tuned for pics to follow.
It was a great reminder that helping homeless pets doesn’t have to take a lot of time or energy. You may even gain valuable skills. During my time as a Pets for Life volunteer with the Humane Society of the United States, I spent one hour a week helping dog trainers teach basic obedience skills. Not only did I learn some great training tips (thanks, Jabula and K-9 Coach!), the experience also helped me connect with amazing pet lovers who craved the tools to be better. As groups of students “graduated” from the program, earning Canine Good Citizen certifications, I felt a sense of pride knowing that each dog had reduced its chance of ending up in a shelter. That’s a powerful feeling!
Want to find a great cause in your community?
– Contact your shelter or rescue group. Most are woefully understaffed and welcome the help.
– Check out VolunteerMatch.org to find a pet-friendly nonprofit in your community. That’s how I found Ahimsa House, an awesome organization that helps people and pets escape domestic violence together.
– Be honest about the amount of time you can provide.
– Bring a friend and make it a Have fun. You might learn a new skill. You might also be surprised by how good it feels to pay it forward.
What can you do?
– Walk pets at shelters.
– Assist with cleaning kennels
– Perform clerical duties
– Offer to serve as a foster parent for rescues.
– Offer to foster pets only during the holidays, when regular foster volunteers tend to go on vacation.
– Take flattering pictures of adoptable pets and help promote them on social media channels. This is a great opportunity for kids.
– Offer to assist with adoption fairs at local pet stores.
– Spread the word about adoptable pets.
“Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world. Indeed, that is the only thing that ever has.”
– Margaret Mead