Soulpup delivers the best pet info to help you and your dog enjoy a long and happy life together.
Caring for a dog can be challenging. Occasionally, we need a little extra help. Here are a few resources, just in case.
Finding a new home for your pet
- - Follow these tips to make this difficult transition a little easier.
- - Look for food banks in your community that offer kibble.
Low-cost spay/neuter services
- - PetsMart/ASPCA: Find a vet who offers deeply discounted spays and neuters in your community.
Vaccinations (Rabies and Parvo shots)
- - Luv My Pet offers discounted shot clinics.
- - Cody’s Club: Helps offset some of the costs related to radiation performed at The Ohio State University (or any other 501C3 treating institution). More info.
- - Daisy Cares: Focuses on helping pets in the Bexar County, Texas area. More info
- - IMOM: Provides financial assistance to pets with life-threatening emergencies. More info.
- - The Magic Bullet Fund: Offers fundraising tips to help cover canine cancer treatment. More info. Facebook page.
- - Mayor’s Alliance for NYC Animals: Help for New York City residents. More info.
- - Prince Chunk Foundation: Free emergency care for those who lack the financial means. More info.
- - Handicapped Pets: Donates wheelchairs to help pets with physical disabilities. Info
Read the story of Simba, a little lion that made a difference for Atlanta boxers
There are pets that touch our lives, and there are pets that touch our hearts. Simba is special dog that not only touched her owner’s heart, she also inspired an organization that helps thousands of Boxers find forever homes. Here is owner Dianne DaLee’s loving tribute to her special companion.
Simba was born December 28, 2003, one of five sisters and three brothers. She came to live with me on February 12, 2004 and we began what was to become a life-changing experience for me. Simba was the first dog I had had since the eighth grade and she was the cutest, sweetest, smallest thing I had ever seen. I loved her from the minute I looked into her eyes.
It took me a while to name her because I had to settle on exactly the right name that was befitting such a wonderful being. This nameless puppy bounced and pounced and tormented my two cats from day one. She reminded me so much of the playful cub in The Lion King, that I knew that was the name for her. Simba means “lion” in Swahili and she lived up to this majestic name in so many ways.
After a couple of months, Simba was enrolled in Semper Fi Boxer School to start learning good manners. She was a very excitable puppy, but by the time she was six months of age, she was ready to take her AKC Canine Good Citizen test. She passed with flying colors and I was so proud of her!
Read Dianne and Simba’s story.
— Want to pay tribute to your special pup? Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Gone but not forgotten” in the subject line.
Many pet owners swear by a raw diet for their dogs, and there have been several recalls for manufactured kibble. That’s why news of a raw food recall is so newsworthy. Nature’s Variety has issued a voluntary recall of one batch of organic chicken medallions. Thank you, Dr. Marty Becker for sharing the info.
From the company’s website:
NATURE’S VARIETY ISSUES VOLUNTARY RECALL OF ONE BATCH
OF INSTINCT® RAW ORGANIC CHICKEN FORMULA FOR DOGS & CATS
DUE TO POSSIBLE HEALTH RISK
Nature’s Variety has announced a voluntary recall of one batch of Instinct® Raw Organic Chicken Formula with a “Best if Used By” date of 10/04/13. This action is being taken because pieces of clear plastic may be found in some bags and could cause a potential choking risk to pets. The source of plastic has been identified and the issue has been resolved.
The affected product is strictly limited to a single batch of Organic Chicken Formula with the “Best if Used By” date of 10/04/13. This includes:
• UPC# 7 69949 60137 1 – Instinct Raw Organic Chicken Formula medallions, 3 lbs. bag
• UPC# 7 69949 70137 8 – Instinct Raw Organic Chicken Formula medallions, 27 lbs. case
• UPC# 7 69949 60127 2 – Instinct Raw Organic Chicken Formula patties, 6 lbs. bag
• UPC# 7 69949 70127 9 – Instinct Raw Organic Chicken Formula patties, 36 lbs. case
The “Best if Used By” date is located on the back of the package below the “Contact Us” section. The affected product was distributed through retail stores and internet sales in the United States and Canada. No other products were impacted.
Nature’s Variety became aware of a potential issue after receiving a consumer complaint. The source of the issue was identified and resolved. To date, there have been no reports of harm to dogs or cats.
Reed Howlett, CEO of Nature’s Variety, stated, ”At Nature’s Variety we take quality and safety very seriously. We believe that under all circumstances, the health and safety of pets comes first.”
Consumers feeding the affected product should discontinue use and monitor their pet’s health, and contact their veterinarian if they have concerns. Consumers who have purchased one of the above products can obtain a full refund or exchange by either returning the product in its original packaging or bringing a proof of purchase back to their retailer.
Consumers with additional questions can call the Nature’s Variety Consumer Relations team at 1.888.519.7387 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST. Or, click here to email us directly.
For media inquiries, please contact Jeff Dezen at JDPR by phone (864.233.3776, ext. 11) or email (email@example.com).